Thursday, February 28, 2008

Road Trip to Stellenbosch

A couple of days ago we had a small caravan with a group of the savings clubs members from Masiphumele, the Director of Living Way, Richard Lundie, and Mike and me. We took about an hour and 15 minute drive along the coast to a city called Stellenbosch. This place is known as Wine Country and is very beautiful. There were many vineyards along the roadside. We went to visit a couple of established savings clubs to encourage the new group from Masi and to help them with ideas about running their club. I wanted so desperately to step in with the teachings of the Biblical Principals, but understand that I must wait until The Lord says, “ok it is time to put it into practice.” My devotion for the morning was Psalm 46:10. Be still and know that I am God, so with that said I will wait!!!
We carried 2 ladies with us, Beauty and Cynthia, and spent a lot of time just sharing about our families and asking it they were Christians. One spoke English very well and the other didn’t speak it well but understood. The one who spoke well said yes, with enthusiasm, I am a born again Christian that was awesome to know. Mike shared with them that he had 7 children and they were amazed their eyes got really big and Beauty translated to Cynthia and they couldn’t believe it. We had a good laugh. We are learning that we must build the relationships first. Jesus’ command to love thy neighbor is the number one priority here. We must build trust with them.
The savings clubs were very well established one had 64 people saving 1 Rand a day, mind you this is less than 14 cents a day for us, but that is all they can afford. The other had 250 but only 50 active. They only make if anything around 100 Rand per day and to us that is about 10 to14 dollars a DAY. This in itself blows our minds. How can they ever get out of the oppression if the cost of living is the same as living in America? (Franklin or Brentwood I might add) Most everyone lives in Tin shacks and desires to have a house. Overall it was great for them to see the clubs working and I believe it is going encourage them.
Richard came to me in the afternoon yesterday, and told me he talked with the ladies in his car on the way home about the Crown Information and they want to do it. So I am excited and just need to begin to write a curriculum to meet their needs. Please pray for the right person to come along side me to help me write it. God is truly at work in SA.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How interesting to just read this snippet of your work right here in Stellenbosch. Are you working with Stokvels in the region? I haven't heard of many people doing such work from a Christian perspective. I wish you God's blessing as you continue to help us build in SA.