Saturday, April 21, 2007

WOW! We're Here!

Here's where the blogging really starts. We're here in Lautoka at the Marine Reach base and it's hot. Did I mention the temperature? It's HOT! I'm sweating over this keyboard and praying for grace. Not really, but it's funny. It is hot, though. Pam laughing as I write this. We're tickled to death about our accomodations here at the base. We have a great little room, with plenty of space for our stuff, and we can see the harbor and WATER from just outside our room. Grey water, but WATER! Typical of this climate, the sinks are outside and so each morning I will get to shave outside. What a treat, I think! Our group is great. There are 10 adults and I believe 4 children. The children go to school at the same time as the adults, but are being taught at their level, but the same material the adults are studying.

Here's the funny story and probably the funniest story of our entire trip. Last night we were out to eat and we shared a seafood platter. On the platter were a half dozen raw oysters, but no crackers or cocktail sauce. So, as you would expect, I asked our server for some crackers and cocktail sauce. She returned a few moments later with a small bowl of cocktail sauce and two metal claw crackers for crab claws! Pam said, "Why did she bring those?". I said, "She brought us crackers and cocktail sauce!"

Today we walked through the small town of Lautoka and had a great time, getting soaked in the rain on the way home. Good clean fun! More later.

Mike

No comments: