Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Live in the Faith Zone, not the Safe Zone

For most of us, we live life in the Safe Zone. I always had a steady job a place to live and a car to drive. Until about 7 yrs ago I thought I had all I needed, but changes in my life and moving into The Faith Zone has given me more than I could ever have imagined. I took my first step of Faith when I went on a 2 week mission trip to Honduras with Mercy Ships in May of 02. I didn’t know anyone, but as I stepped out in Faith God placed a couple in my path that were from Nashville. We met before we left but they were only going to be joining the dental team for the second week. This was my first step towards trusting God in all that I do and it has been an adventure ever since. I went on a couple more trips alone, but soon after that God gave me a wonderful husband to share my life with. We began living in the Safe Zone again and did not have the fulfillment that each of us had while serving God independently. We began praying that God would move us in to the Faith Zone and that is exactly what He did. The Faith Zone requires some risk and it makes us leave our Safe “comfort” Zone. So these are some words of encouragement, from John Maxwell, for everyone who is ready to live in the Faith Zone.
• “We do not naturally leave the safe zone. Most people don’t want to have changes in their lives, but without changes you will never experience anything different. Just because you don’t want to do something doesn’t mean you shouldn’t!”
• “Growth begins when we leave the safe zone. Yes I had a lot of security in my job and owning my own place, but not until I let all that go did I learn what was really important. I also discovered a lot about me and became remade by God. You can’t stay the same and learn at the same time. If you want to grow, you need to go.”
• “The safe zones rob us of our greatest moments and memories. Many people are so afraid of risks that they spend their lives in the land of just enough. God wants us to leave the wilderness and enter the land of more than enough. Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the risks you didn’t take than by the ones you did.”
I must say that leaving my safe zone has allowed me to enjoy God’s blessings to the fullest. Moses was taken out of his comfort zone in all aspects of his life beginning at birth and we are challenged by his story to Live in the faith zone, not in the safe zone.
This is Moses’ Prayer for us
Lord God, the God of my fathers,
Give my friends a healthy discontent. Draw them out of the safe zone so
that they may live every day in the faith zone. Make them wholly dependent
on You, so that they can do things greater than themselves.
Amen

No comments: