Thursday, June 19, 2008

Driving Lessons

Who is the best person for the job? Apparently, not me. (Pam) Last week, Danielle Schneider from Brentwood Baptist, asked me if I would teach her how to drive a stick shift. She is planning on being here for 1 year and realized she is going to have to get a car but will need to learn how to drive a stick and drive on the other side of the road. I told her sure we will look at doing it on Monday. Well Monday came and I took her over to an isolated dirt road and got out of the car and pulled up the emergency brake so the car wouldn’t roll on us. I said, “Danielle don’t let me forget the brake is on.”
She gets in the drivers side which is on the opposite side of the way we are used to getting in a car in America. We both started laughing and then she realizes that the mirrors were all backwards; the car was on the left side of the road, the floor had another pedal to deal with and she had to place her left hand on a gear shift and try to get the car going in a forward direction. We attempted many 1st gear starts and she got it going a couple of times but we didn’t get as far as we would have liked in our first lesson. We had a lot of laughs as many of you who know her could imagine. We then attempted reverse and I got a phone call right in the middle of all of this. I told her just keep trying while I take this call. I knew it would be hard because we were laughing so hard. While I was talking I looked down between the seats and realized the parking brake was still on. I was hysterically laughing at that point and told Danielle we might have gotten a lot further in our lesson if we had “taken the emergency brake off”. The little car was huffin and puffin and I couldn’t understand why! Now we know, I probably wasn’t the right person for the job but we had great fun and fellowship trying. I am going to persevere with her to the end but we are trying to trade cars and I don’t want the car to have to huff and puff too much. The car was making some weird noises and it could be like a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off. I will keep you posted............

No comments: